Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Packing Process of a PackRat

A few more days of this. Packing. An overwhelming thought. I have some things packed already, and so much more to consider. I will be gone almost 4 months, yes, a long time I know. We'll be driving at least, so
 I don't have to worry about airline restrictions. Driving from Michigan to Key West, Florida, with lots of stops along the way, some to family and some to friends. That means changing weather, changing occassions, and changing moods. Do I want to be comfortable, cute, stylish, devil may care, traditional, trendy? Oh, what to still pack . . . I have the bathing suits, jeans, lightweight jacket, and a few sweaters that say warmer climate instead of nordic temperatures. You know, maybe some lace, or ruffles instead of snowflakes or icelandic designs. Tank tops, a few sundresses, short skirts and two pairs of capris. Assorted jewelry and accessories are laid out on the dresser. I have so many clothes, I know, shame on me, but I do love clothes, and the weight that fluctuates up and down 15 pounds. That over forty crowd concern.Tight never looks good on a sausage. I haven't even begun with shoes. Last year I had 28 pairs, excessive I know, but I wore almost all of them. Tennis shoes, walking sandals, dressy sandals, high heels, flats, flip flops, beach shoes, water shoes, work out shoes, boots, yes, it's still that cold in the car getting in and out. Don't forget underwear, and beach coverups, along with a couple of hats. Oh yes, there is bulky scuba gear, and perhaps a golf bag. Oh heck, I am not a very good golfer, I'll  leave the bag home. That was an easy decision. I was determined to bring less clothes this time, maybe stay in a color bracket. I did think about all black, since that is what I seem to prefer to wear most of the time, but that would be boring after a few weeks. So I am still in the process of packing, hoping to get a few outfits, the kind that goes with everything, goes perfectly everywhere, and makes me look like a fashionista, with a narrow waist and just right hips. Tomorrow is the day I have to get it all together, I have clothes laid out everywhere, and I have an obsession with trying it all on before I pack it, no sense packing something that is too tight. There are some things that look great until I put them on, and suddenly they look tired and worn. I'll have to keep you posted on just how many clothes I am taking and if I fare bettter than last year. And I can't forget, the stores in Florida and in all the states between Michigan and Florida all happen to sell clothes too if I forget anything, or if I feel the need to add to my wardrobe.Maybe I'll call you to come and help me sit on my suitcase so I can zip it closed.

1 comment:

  1. It's easy for me. Everything is white, gray or black with a little khaki now and again to ease the monotony.
    :-)

    Plus, I never leave for 4 months. Or haven't YET at least!

    I wanted to thank you for the lovely comment you left me a week or so ago. I liked it so much I printed it out and have it posted next to my computer in my office. So you hvae yourself a new friend that will now try to keep up with the wardrobe changes...that will go along with your weather changes! Being from Ohio (my bro lives in Mich) and the snow we just got...I'll be longing to lug my golf bag somewhere. Soon.

    ReplyDelete