Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spiders - terrifyingly fascinating


This was a spider colony that I almost walked by and overlooked. Once I saw them, I was overwhelmed with the vast area they covered. Out in the open and yet hidden at the same time.I have forgotten the name of the species. It was in the Florida Keys and there were actually thousands of them all along the waters edge, intermingled with bushes, trees and wild grasses. YES, I did say thousands! Although I am terrified by spiders, I find the strength and intricate details of their webs intriquing. They are relentless at rebuilding and I have never seen so many together with webs overlapping in all my life. Other walkerbys stopped to ask what we were photographing and soon became as fascinated as we were.Nature is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. My sister cannot abide them but I've never really cared one way or the other. You have a lovely blog. Thanks for sharing.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete