Thursday, October 15, 2009

Calmness in the Comfort Zone


There are certain traits that I really admire in people. I am intriqued by calmness and sincerity in a person.I have always admired those attributes in a person. I believe that some of it is a natural part of your makeup, and that much of it is learned and an ongoing part of life's experiences and aging. Commonsense  and
experience can be great teachers.  It was something that I am learning everyday and learned in nursing school early on. Remain calm. When you don't panic, in almost any situation, you have a lot more time than you realize. It helps you to focus, be conscise in your actions and thoughts, and helps you to keep the situation in perspective. I strive to become more of such a person. It takes a confident person to be calm. When you are educated and knowledgeable, either by academia or on the job training in life, it all comes into play. I bring this up because I am currently taking a scuba diving class. Now, you need to know that normally I do not get my face wet, go into the deep end of the pool, or ever suggest getting into the water other than walking along the beach up to my knees or taking a shower or bath. I am pushing my limits, going outside the envelope of my comfort level. I am exhilerated and terrified at the same time. It is energizing and exhausting simualtaneously. But a big part of my life, is not to be so timid anymore, to take adventures, both responsibly and passionately. I'll have to let you know how I'm doing. Right now, my priority is to keep breathing deeply and calmly and enjoying the process. Where this will take me is yet to be seen. One journey at a time, one step, one foot in front of the other. What boundaries of your own would you like to expand or surpass?

No comments:

Post a Comment