Sunday, November 1, 2009

Domestic enjoyments for a Day


Sometimes I feel like being domestic. Like today. Most days I am glad to have all the modern conveniences especially about things like cooking. To open and heat up can be a fast and rewarding process when you are hungry. After years of preparing meals for a family with children, it's nice not to have to do that on a daily routine basis. Although to be honest, most days I didn't mind, and hoped that I made nutritious meals that were tasty too. I think I had a decent success rate, but you'd have to ask my kids their opinion to be sure. When you have to do something all the time it can feel like a chore, when you do it occassionaly it can seem like a pleasure. I do like to go to the store for fresh produce and ingredients and then decide on something to make based on the season's choices. I enjoy taking my time at the store and appreciating the process. Then coming home and putting some music on to play while I cut and chop and simmer and add ingredients to tast. I am not much of a
measurer when it comes to cooking. I rely more on sight and taste and what I have available. Now baking, that is more an exact type of activity, to get everything precise. But cooking, it's about being in the moment. All the sense are involved, touch, smell, sight, hearing, tasting. It can be relaxing and grounding. Much like other activities, smiliar to gardening. There is a quality about nurturing of earth, of animals, of people, of family, friends and of course, of self. So today I'll be domestic and make more than enough to go into the freezer. That is, because come another day, I'll want to enjoy the benefits of modern technology when I'm just wanting to run in and heat and eat. Excuse me, I can smell the wonderful savory aromas that tells me dinner is almost ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment